B-MEntor: cross-institutional London-wide mentoring scheme for Academic and Professional Services staff from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds.
B-MEntor, is run in partnership with University College London, University of Arts London, Kings College London, St Georges University London and Queen Mary’s University London.
This programme contributes to Queen Mary’s 2030 strategic aim to be ‘the most inclusive university' and aligns with the recent creation of a new Race Equality Action Group, which will be working to progress the agenda on race equality at Queen Mary.
The requirements for participation in the programme are as follows:
- Academic Mentors: Must be at Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor/Reader or Professorial level. Mentors can be from any ethnic background.
- Academic Mentees: Should be from post-doc to lecturer level and self-identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or those who identify as being from an ethnic minority background as this is where the evidence of under representation exists.
- Professional Services Mentors: Can identify from any ethnic background as Professional Services staff, job title may include: Manager, Director, Head of, Senior Advisor/Officer, (recognising that grading systems vary between institutions).
- Professional Services Mentees: Should self-identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or those who identify as being from an ethnic minority background as Professional Services staff, job title may include: Assistant, Administrator, Officer, Adviser, Co-ordinator, (recognising that grading systems vary between institutions).
We would particularly like to encourage staff of Black origin to join the programme as they are under-represented in Professional Services, in partner institutions.
The mentoring period will be approximately one year, and a training and support package is offered for all parties. The selection and matching of mentor and mentees will take place in early 2021.
Mentees and Mentors must be available for the training on the following dates:
- Professional Services Mentee Training: Thursday 14th January 10-11.30am
- Professional Services Mentor Training: Thursday 28th January 10-11.30am
- Academic Mentee Training: Thursday 14th January 2.00-3.30pm
- Academic Mentor Training: Thursday 28th January 2.00-3.30pm
Recruitment for the 2021 round is now closed.
Please contact Teresa Williams, Project Lead or Izzie Kpobie-Mensah , Project Officer, if you have any queries about this scheme. A full list of FAQs can be found on the B-MEntor professional services webpage. and BMEntor Academic webpage.