Following the response to the killing of George Floyd in the US and the #BlackLivesMatter movement, many of us are asking what allies can do to help tackle racism and anti-Blackness. Taking the time to read, listen and learn is key. Educating ourselves and others is an incredibly important first step in tackling racism.
Everyone learns differently: you don’t have to read books to start on this important work. You can listen to podcasts, watch films, videos and TV and read articles. Below are some resources to get started:
- Short article about Racial Microaggressions in Science (examples of racial microaggressions [PDF 147KB])
- BlackLivesMattersCarrd: Educate Yourself
- Recommended Reading to learn about Black Lives Matter and Anti-Racism [PDF 172KB]
- A List of Anti-Racism Podcasts
- Anti-Racism Resources: including resources for white parents to raise anti-racist children, articles, podcasts, videos, books, films/TV
- Anti-Racism Book Club for White People and Non Black People of Colour
- EDI Books and Podcasts: curated by the QMUL EDI team, there are sections on race as well as other EDI-related issues, experiences and identities
- Groundbreaking works from cultural history to fiction
To support #BLM and anti-racism in the UK and around the world you can also:
- Sign petitions here
- Donate here: 17 UK anti-racism charities and organisations you can support right now and Places to Donate (BlackLivesMattersCarrd)
Please share this information and resources with your students, colleagues, friends and family to facilitate some much needed learning and understanding about race and racism.