Here is a list of some recommended podcasts relating to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.
If you have any other podcast recommedations that you would like us to include please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some of the following podcasts may have content and refer to sensitive issues that some listeners may find upsetting or distressing. If you feel uncomfortable with anything you hear then please stop listening, it is important that you look after your own wellbeing.
These podcasts have been gathered from a variety of sources, so the views shared in these podcasts do not represent that of Queen Mary University of London.
Below are some topic areas to guide your listening, but many of the podcasts explore multiple issues in an intersectional way.
- Over the bridge - a podcast by four black and mixed-race men who met at Cambridge University and discuss a range of topics including race, universities, masculinity, cultural appropriation, mental health, gentrification – and loads more.
- Getting curious - A weekly exploration of all the things Jonathan Van Ness (Queer Eye, Gay of Thrones) is curious about. Come on a journey with Jonathan and experts in their respective fields as they get curious about anything and everything under the sun.
- The Hurricane Tapes - Set in the 1960s in the Deep South of the U.S.A., this is the untold story of how the former Black boxer, Rueben ‘Hurricane’ Carter, was framed for a murder he did not commit.
- Token - a podcast about marginalised identities.
- Mental – The Podcast to destigmatize mental health
- Happy Place - Fearne's HAPPY PLACE podcast series builds on the success of the top 10 bestseller HAPPY where Fearne draws on her own experiences and shares advice from experts on how to work through feeling blue to finding joy each and every day.
- Bryony Gordon’s Mad World - Intimate conversations about getting unwell - and getting better. From Prince Harry to Fearne Cotton. Because mental health deserves to be talked about.
- Feel better, live more - In this podcast, we hear stories from leading health experts and exciting personalities who offer easy health life-hacks, expert advice and debunk common health myths giving you the tools to revolutionise how you eat, sleep, move and relax.
- The Mind Podcast - in this podcast series, presented by Mind ambassador and Heart FM DJ Matt Wilkinson, we hear what it's really like to live with mental health problems.
- Champions of Time to Change Podcast - Hear from Champions about campaigning tips, challenges and their experiences of tackling mental health related stigma and discrimination in communities. We are as powerful as the personal stories we tell!
- Just about coping – Podcast by Mental Health First Aid England that explores the future of mental health and wellbeing.
- Is This Adulting? - A mental health comedy podcast with a brilliant supportive online community
- Making Gay History - Bringing the voices of queer history to life through intimate conversations with LGBTQ+ champions, heroes, and witnesses to history.
- LGBTQ&A - is an LGBTQ+ interview podcast produced by Jeffrey Masters and the Advocate Magazine
- How to be a girl - is an audio podcast about life with a mom and her young transgender daughter, as they attempt together to sort out just what it means to be a girl.
- NB: my non-binary life - You might have heard the term non-binary. This is how it feels. Join Caitlin Benedict & Amrou Al-Kadhi as they ask the big questions about gender & identity.
- The LGBT Sport Podcast - BBC’s LGBT sport podcast taking a look at LGBTQ+ issues in sport.
- Becoming myself: Gender Identity - Series that goes inside the Charing Cross Gender Identity Clinic in London to explore gender dysphoria. Narrated by Adjoa Andoh.
- The Logbooks - Stories from Britain’s LGBT+ history and conversations about being queer today. The team take a look through the Archives of Switchboard - the LGBT phone line set up in the 60s.
- Homo sapiens - Alan Cumming and Christopher Sweeney talk to inspirational people over tea and biscuits. Each week they'll bring you intelligent, informative and fun conversations that represent the interests of LGBTQ+ people around the world.
- A Gay and a Non-Gay - is the UK’s #1 award winning LGBTQ+ podcast. Hosted by comedians James Barr and Dan Hudson (James is Gay, Dan is NonGay) our podcast reluctantly began when James friend Talia moved abroad, leaving he and her boyfriend to fend for themselves. This is the hilarious tale of two unlikely heroes forming new friendship, challenging our preconceptions of each other and crossing divides.
- Nancy - is a critically-acclaimed podcast featuring queer stories and conversations, and hosted by two best friends, neither of whom are named Nancy. It’s a podcast about how we define ourselves, and the journey it takes to get there.
- The Coming-Out Tapes - The Coming Out Tapes is an audio archive of LGBTQ+ stories curated by comedian Cerys Bradley.
- One From the Vaults – a trans history podcast by Morgan M Page.
- Ouch - the cabin fever podcast - The place where the real disability talk happens. Interviews, life hacks and things you don't say out loud. With Simon Minty, Kate Monaghan and the Ouch team.
- Abnormally Funny People Show - a monthly comedy podcast discussing all things disability, but with a big splash of comedy.
- The Accessible Stall - a disability podcast by Kyle Khachadurian and Emily Ladau.
- TiLT Parenting - for parents of autistic and other neuro-diverse children, is aimed at helping parents raising differently-wired kids do so from a place of confidence, connection, and joy.
- About Race - From the author behind the bestselling ‘Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race’, comes a podcast that takes the conversation a step further. Featuring key voices from the last few decades of anti-racist activism, About Race with Reni Eddo-Lodge looks at the recent history that lead to the politics of today.
- All My Relations - hosts Matika Wilbur (Tulalip and Swinomish) and Adrienne Keene (Cherokee Nation), delve into a different topic facing Native peoples today.
Gender Equality and Feminism
- Divided States of Women - two women, one a Republican and the other a Democrat talk politics, feminism and more.
- The Guilty Feminist - Join comedian Deborah Frances-White and her special guests as they discuss topics “all 21st century feminists agree on” while confessing their insecurities, hypocrisies and fears that underlie their lofty principles
- A Podcast of One’s Own with Julia Gillard - Each episode features with Julia in conversation with prominent female leaders from the worlds of entertainment, business, sport, activism and many more besides. The series aims to celebrate the stories of female leaders, learn lessons from their lives and share insights on what works to get more women into leadership positions.
EDI Practice in the Workplace, Higher Education and Beyond