B-MEntor: cross-institutional London-wide mentoring scheme for Academic and Professional Services staff from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds.
B-MEntor, is run in partnership with University College London, University of Arts London, Kings College London, St Georges University London, Francis Crick Institute and Queen Mary’s University London and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
This positive action programme contributes to Queen Mary’s 2030 strategic aim to be ‘the most inclusive university of its kind anywhere’ and aligns with the work of our Race Equality Action Group. Mentoring is vital to supporting the development of Queen Mary's diverse talent and could help you take your next career steps.
The requirements for participation in the programme are as follows:
- Academic Mentors: Must be at Senior Lecturer, Associate Professor/Reader or Professorial level. Mentors can be from any ethnic background.
- Academic Mentees: Should be from post-doctoral to lecturer level and self-identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or those who identify as being from an ethnic minority background as this is where the evidence of under representation exists.
- Professional Services Mentors: Can identify from any ethnic background as Professional Services staff, job title may include: Manager, Director, Head of, Senior Advisor/Officer, (recognising that grading systems vary between institutions).
- Professional Services Mentees: Should self-identify as Black, Asian, Mixed or those who identify as being from an ethnic minority background as Professional Services staff, job title may include: Assistant, Administrator, Officer, Adviser, Co-ordinator, (recognising that grading systems vary between institutions).We would particularly like to encourage staff of Black origin to join the programme as they are under-represented in Professional Services, in partner institutions.
The mentoring period will be approximately one year, and a training and support package is offered for all parties. The selection and matching of mentors and mentees will take place from mid-January 2023.
Mentees and mentors must be available for the training on one of the following dates:
- Mentee Training: Wednesday 11th January at 2:00 -3:30pm or Wednesday 18th January at 2:00 -3:30pm.
- Mentor Training: Wednesday 25th January at 10:00-11:30am or Wednesday 1st February at 2:00- 3:30pm.
Mentees and Mentors must be available for the training on one of the following dates:
- Mentee Training - Thursday 12th January at 10:00 - 11:30am or Thursday 19th January at 10:00 - 11:30am.
- Mentor Training - Thursday 26th January at 2:00 -3:30pm or Thursday 2nd February at 10:00 - 11:30am.
To learn more and register your interest, visit the B-MEntor Academic or B-MEntor professional services pages, which include further detail on eligibility as well as FAQs. Please contact the EDI Team at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the B-MEntor project team at UCL: Kae Ohene-Yeboah (Project Lead) or Linda Lam (Project Officer) if you have any queries about this scheme.
B-MEntor Academic and Professional Services applications have now closed.