Welcome to QMOUT, QMUL's Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBTQA+) staff network group!
Who is the LGBTQA+ Staff network for?
Staff at Queen Mary University of London who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Non-binary, Queer, Asexual (Ace) or those who identify with other marginalised sexual orientations and / or gender identities.
We actively welcome all staff who identify as part of the LGBTQA+ community including:
- BAME LGBTQA+ people / LGBTQA+ People of Colour
- LGBTQA+ carers
- LGBTQA+ people of faith
- LGBTQA+ parents
- LGBTQA+ people with accessibility needs
- LGBTQA+ people with mental health conditions
The network is also open to allies of the LGBTQA+ community. The group communicates via their Microsoft Teams area and is open to all staff at Queen Mary University of London, whether they identify as LGBTQA+ or as allies.
When do we meet?
The group meets throughout the year for a series of social events and activities. Meetings to discuss group business are organised 3/4 times per year. Keep an eye on the E-Bulletin, our News & Events page or the Microsoft Teams area for these.
What do we do?
The group is a community for LGBTQA+ staff members and their allies at Queen Mary. We organise social events (both day time and evening time), awareness raising events and provide a safe space for staff members to discuss issues.
How do I join?
The Network is hosted on Microsoft Teams, where members can have conversations on channels, share files and resources and host meetings online - to join simply request to join using Microsoft Teams.
The Microsoft Teams site is a private group and though there is some degree of visibility when you join (other members can see who you are), we request that members maintain strict confidentiality about its membership and contents.
If you do not feel comfortable joining the Teams site for now, have any questions or want to contribute in another way, you can get in touch with Eleanor McDavis or Darren Hunwicks who work in the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Team on the portfolio of LGBTQA+ Inclusion.
Membership and Meetings
- Membership is aimed at staff who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Non-binary or Asexual at the University, however, the group is also open to allies.
- The network meets 2-4 times a year and the Co-Chairs take recommendations and feedback from these meetings to the EDI Team/University departments and feeds back to the network. The meetings encompass HR related items, agenda items from members and committee and guest speakers if relevant. These meetings include items such as Pride, LGBTQA+ History Month, socials, policies, data, gender neutral facilities and celebrating awareness days.
- The network commits to hosting a number of events online annually to ensure they are accessible and to recording minutes of meetings to share with the wider network.
- The network has no formal structure (outside that of the two co-chairs) with all members on an equal standing.
- The steering group will be led by 2 co-chairs, ensuring diversity between them (i.e. not of the same gender/gender identity/sexuality/job role). The co-chairs will work with the EDI Team and within the EDI governance structures.
- However, we formally seek representation from all represented identities – Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Non-binary or Ace via appeals and messages to the membership.
- The group will be supported by the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion team.
Benefits at Queen Mary
We are proud to say that all benefits, including maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave, at QMUL are inclusive for our LGBTQA+ staff.
We also offer confidential employee assistance on finance, mortgage, family, and counselling through Workplace Options.
Explore the comprehensive set of staff benefits at Queen Mary.