Skip to main content

Human Resources

Academic Technology Approval Scheme

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

The Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) applies to all international researchers who require a Skilled Worker or Temporary Work - Government Authorised Exchange visa are intending to research in certain sensitive subjects.

The research areas are those where knowledge could be used in programmes to develop Advanced Conventional Military Technology (ACMT), weapons of mass destruction (WMDs) or their means of delivery. Researchers must apply for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before they can start research in the UK.

Researchers who are nationals of EU countries, the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland or the United States of America do not need an ATAS certificate.

The requirement for an ATAS certificate applies to all other researchers irrespective of the country of residence when they apply.

UK immigration law prevents Queen Mary from permitting international researchers to commence research in an ATAS applicable course until the researcher has supplied evidence that they have the correct ATAS certificate.

ATAS and Hiring International Researchers

If you intend to hire international reseachers under the Skilled Worker route, or to invite international researchers to Queen Mary to take part in collaborative research then you will need to consider whether they require ATAS certification before they enter the UK. 

ATAS certification is a legal requirement.  Queen Mary must ensure that all sponsored individuals undertaking reseach in jobs and subject areas that are listed under the ATAS requirements obtain the necessary certification before they make a visa application.  

ATAS Requirements

Find out more

An ATAS certificate is needed for those who are undertaking research in certain proliferation sensitive subjects in the UK.

Return to top