- Who should have an appraisal?
- What guidance is available?
- What training and development is available?
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Personal Appraisal and Development discussion should:
- Ensure a shared understanding of objectives
- Celebrate successes
- Identify and address any obstacles to achieving objectives
- Identify strengths and development needs
- Enable discussion of career aspirations
Queen Mary’s Personal Appraisal and Development applies to members of staff who:
- have successfully completed their probation period (before this, use the probation procedure)
- have a contract longer than a year
The Personal Appraisal and Development does not apply to those with honorary status, and those who have been appraised as part of the joint academic and clinical appraisal scheme, or clinical staff who require revalidation (the online Trust system should be used for this purpose).
We have three guides. These apply to both appraisers and appraisees. The contents are similar, but they have been tailored with examples for different groups of staff:
- Appraisal Guidance - Academic Staff [PDF 797KB]
- Appraisal Guidance - Operational, PS and Technical Staff [PDF 773KB]
- Technicians' Appraisal Guidance [PDF 92KB]
In addition we have FAQ and guidance considering the impact the current pandemic has had, and is continuing to have, on all of us: Appraisal Summer 2020 Guidance for Appraiser [PDF 355KB].
We hope that the system is intuitive - there are guidelines to help at Appraisal System Guidelines (Gen2) [PDF 562KB], and a guide for appraisers on how to use a dashboard to see the stage your appraisees are at.
During discussions of career aspirations with Professional Services staff, you may find the Professional Services Career Development resources useful.
An e-learning module is available, Introduction to Appraisal, covering appraisal skills for both appraisers and appraisees.
Optional workshops are available throughout the appraisal window and can be booked via the course booking system:
- Making the most of appraisal: Appraisers (course code PD180).
- Making the most of appraisal: Appraisees (course code PD185).