The wellbeing of our staff is a high priority at Queen Mary. This Fortnight and Fair and many other activities are in support of findings from the Affinity Health at Work report.
Your mental health is just as, if not more, important as your physical health. You wouldn’t ignore a cold for four months, or a cut that was bleeding for six weeks, so don’t ignore your mental wellbeing. Small steps can be taken to improve your day-to-day wellbeing, helping you to minimise your stress levels and to improve your mood and self-esteem.
The upcoming Wellbeing Fortnight takes place from Monday 5 November until Friday 16 November, and provides a number of opportunities for staff to get involved in. The NHS recommends five steps to improve your wellbeing: Connecting with others; Be more active; Take notice of what is around you; Keep learning new things; Give to others.
This is for all staff to come along and get involved in and there should be something for everyone!
- Enjoy a week of free off-peak gym access at Qmotion on campus from Monday 5 November to Friday 9 November (sign up here) and free use of the Get Active programme (sign up here)
- Enjoy a number of sessions led by a number of QMUL staff - take a look at what sessions are on offer here and remember to secure your ticket by following the links.
- Guided Relaxation sessions at our wonderful Chaplaincy
- Exciting Health and Wellbeing Intervention classes ran by our very own Psychology students as part of their studies (look out for their stall at the Wellbeing Fair to sign up!)
- We also have planned a Wellbeing Fair on Monday 12 November from 11am-3pm for all staff so please come along and see us - there is a lot on offer!
However, it is important to know that if you are struggling with your mental health, you really are not alone. According to Mind, the mental health charity, one in four people in the UK will suffer from a mental health problem in any given year. If you need to talk to someone confidentially, Queen Mary has a free employee assistance programme, Workplace Options, or alternatively, you can contact the Samaritans are available to talk to 24/7.
Please contact the team at email@example.com if you have any questions or ideas, or if you require any of the information from the fair in accessible formats.