Skip to main content

Human Resources

Work Visas

An overview of UK visas which allow the visa holder to work in the UK

Where an individual is subject to UK immigration control, they will require a visa to work in the UK.

The following individuals do not need a visa for the UK, but do still have to prove their right to work before employment can commence:

Visa categories

Obtaining an appropriate visa will provide the individual with the time-limited right to work in the UK. If a non-British or Irish citizen is made a job offer from the University, and where they have no ties to the UK through family or ancestral links, the UK points-based immigration system is the most common route through which that individual can obtain the right to work in the UK.

This section provides guidance on the two work routes of the points based system and an overview of the other visas that will allow someone to work in the UK. 

  • The Global Talent visa is for Academics and Researchers who wish to work at Queen Mary;
  • The Skilled Worker visa is for indiviudals offered eligible employment at Queen Mary. 

Please select the links below for more information about the relevant visa routes.

Return to top