Skip to main content

Human Resources

Working outside the UK

From January 2021 the UK's relationship with the EU will change as free movement between the two ends.  You will need to be aware of this when arranging travel between the UK and the EU, EEA, and Switzerland.  If you have staff who intend to undertake work outside the UK you will need to be aware of the following: 

Working permanently outside the UK

EEA nationals who do not live in the UK but are employed by Queen Mary, before 31 December 2020, will continue to be able to enter the UK for work without a visa.  They will be able to access the Frontier Worker permit and should ensure that they have applied for one before 30 June 2021.

Working at partner universities

EEA nationals will continue to be able to travel freely within the EEA however, British citizens will no longer be able to work freely within the EEA.  If your staff are required to travel to Europe for work then they will need to have the necessary visa to work in the country they wish to travel to. 

For information on business travel within the EU on or after 1st  Jan, please visit

For information on Foreign Office travel advice, please visit

For information on current travel related vaccination and immunisation requirements, please visit . Staff who need vaccinations for work purposes should contact OHWorks at

These pages are still being updated. Thank you for your patience.

Return to top