Tier 2 is the main category in which Queen Mary can employ skilled workers from outside the European Economic Area. In order to be eligible to employ an individual on a Tier 2 visa numerous procedures must be followed precisely. Only if we meet these criteria can we sponsor an individual under Tier 2. Below is each step of the process:
- The job must meet the Home Office's minimum skill level and salary requirements;
- If necessary, the job must meet the requirements of the Resident Labour Market Test;
- The rules concerning the selection process must have been followed;
- The individual must be eligible to apply for a Tier 2 visa;
- HR must obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship for the individual;
- The individual must successfully apply for a visa;
- Prior to commencement and throughout employment, the Department and employee must comply with the Sponsorship Duties.
Information for Managers
A more detailed Recruitment Guidance can be found here that explains the requirements for each of the above steps.
As the manager of a Tier 2 visa holder you should be aware of the University's obligations as a sponsor, this can be found here Sponsorship Duties.
Information for Staff of Tier 2 visas
The Tier 2 visa provides a time limited right to work in the UK. Queen Mary can sponsor someone for a maximum of six years. After five years the visa holder will be eligible to apply to settle in the UK. We have put together a guide for each stage of the Tier 2 visa.
Applying for a Tier 2 visa
Renewal of a Tier 2 visa
Applying for Settlement