During this time, it’s important to come together to support one another. The Organisational and Professional Development team are working with experts across QM to bring themed staff wellbeing weeks. These provide opportunities to share our perspectives: what’s working for us in our personal and professional lives, and what the research says that can help us. To book your place search ‘wellbeing series’ and join us every Wednesday afternoon 2-3pm. Find out more below.
Wellbeing webinar #1: Beating Corona Anxiety
For many of us, there’s a feeling of stress that comes with the current COVID-19 situation. During this webinar, our experts in the field talk about their research, practical hints and tips, and real-life experiences on how to deal with the constantly moving parts.
- Managing Anxiety and Stress at Work [PDF 618KB]
- Coronavirus Special with Dr Judson Brewer
- Why fear is so infectious and how to break the coronavirus anxiety cycle
- CIPD webinar on health and well-being during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Coronavirus Anxiety: Coping with Stress, Fear, and Worry
- Coping with coronavirus anxiety with John Sharp
- Coronavirus and your wellbeing with MIND
Wellbeing webinar #2: Work-Home Parent
Some of us may have worked from home before, but what’s new for so many is that we now have our children at home with us while we work. During this webinar we invite speakers to share their expertise, with some real-life experiences and practical suggestions that could help you manage being the home-working parent.
- QMUL Parents and Carers Network
- Harvard Business Review's Guide for Working (From Home) Parents
- Tips from a Home Educator
- AdvanceHE: Your family's Cobra Meeting
- Behavioural Insights Team: Learning from Home
- Family Lives - Coping practically and emotionally during Covid-19
- Learning through play
- Nature: The pandemic and the female academic
- Office for National Statistics Bulletin
Wellbeing webinar #3: Work-Life Balance
Work-life balance can be particularly difficult at the moment. How can we leave work at the door, when we are no longer going out of the door? During this webinar we discuss - Why is work-life balance important? How to keep our work-life balance? What can we do if we’re struggling?
Wellbeing webinar #4: Controlling Uncertainty
What happens when we face uncertain times? What works and what doesn't when we face adversity? During this webinar, we discuss decision making under pressure, learning, problem-solving, risk and uncertainty to help answer questions around how to make decisions in uncertain situations.
Wellbeing webinar #5: Mental Health Aware
Now is the time for us to strengthen our community and set-aside time to look after ourselves. What can we do to look after our own mental health and maintain wellbeing? How can we challenge the stigma around mental health? During this webinar we discuss the role of our Mental Health First Aiders and how we can support mental health across Queen Mary.
Wellbeing webinar #6: Remote Working, Pandemic Style
How can we work remotely and still look after ourselves and others? How can we give ourselves the best physical set up? How can we manage MS Teams fatigue? During this webinar, we discuss these questions and ask you to share your remote working hacks.
Wellbeing webinar #7: Everyday Mindfulness
How can we bring about awareness? How can we be more compassionate to ourselves and others? Is it really possible to meditate in just 5 minutes? Being in the moment and focusing your attention on one thing can be tough right now – how can we practice the art of being mindful? During this webinar we discuss what is mindfulness, how can we bring about more awareness and be mindful in everyday life.
Recording to come.
- All it takes is 10 mindful minutes with Andy Puddicombe
- Jon Kabat-Zinn talks about 9 mindfulness attitudes
- Why Mindfulness Is a Superpower: An Animation
- What Is Mindfulness? How To Practice Mindfulness, 5 Exercises & The Benefits
- Free weekly online mindfulness sessions with Oxford Mindfulness Centre