We have developed this section to encourage and empower line managers in monitoring and supporting staff wellbeing and stress. This support is always vital and particularly so during the COVID-19 situation. We acknowledge that discussing stress and wellbeing can be a difficult conversation to initiate with colleagues so have drawn together some tools to support you.
There are a few steps you can follow to ensure you are being proactive regarding your team's wellbeing:
- Hold recommended regular 1:1s with your staff;
- Familiarise yourself with, and implement HSE’s ‘Talking Toolkit: Preventing Work-Related Stress’;
HSE’s ‘Talking Toolkit’ is a support tool for individual conversations between line managers and staff to assess stress and wellbeing at work.
This toolkit should be used as an aid for line managers in holding initial conversations with staff as one element of Queen Mary’s journey towards preventing work-related stress.
The toolkit contains six templates, each with a different theme. It is at the line manager’s discretion how often these conversations are held. There is no strict format. These conversations can fit into an existing 1:1 or a new meeting could be setup solely to discuss wellbeing and work-related stress. Likewise, they could focus on one topic, or cover all six.
You may also find it useful to consider the additional resources below:
- CIPD’s 6 Steps to Help Your Team Thrive at Work.
- HSE Line Managers’ Resource: A practical guide to managing and supporting people with mental health problems in the workplace.
- HSE Stress Risk Assessment.
Organisational and Professional Development is running a webinar on Wellbeing for Managers. This workshop will explore the dimensions of wellbeing and issues around work-related stress. We will ask you to bring your own experience of being a manager to openly discuss management responsibilities and standards in accordance with UK workplace health guidelines.
By the end of this session, delegates will be able to:
- Develop an understanding of managers’ responsibilities around wellbeing including stress
- Raise awareness of factors that affect staff wellbeing and recognise the signs to look for when wellbeing might be compromised
- Encourage staff to take personal responsibility for their own wellbeing
- Understand the support available to staff at Queen Mary
Register attendance by searching for “wellbeing for managers” on the CPD booking system.
This page is dedicated to how managers can support their team's wellbeing and help prevent work-related stress.
For other support available to all Queen Mary staff, please explore the following pages:
- Our comprehensive pages on Wellbeing.
- Our dedicated page on Managing Stress.
- Explore our Your Community, Your Wellbeing series which covers a range of topics with relevant further resources below each week.
- Our dedicated page listing internal and external resources on Wellbeing Support for Staff.
- Our Employee Assistance Programme.
- Familiarise yourself with Queen Mary Mental Health First Aider List.
This page contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government Licence.