Human Resources

Occupational Health menu

Travel Service

Travelling Overseas for Work or Pleasure?
Occupational Health can advise you on keeping safe and healthy. If you are travelling outside the UK in connection with work, study or just for fun, you need to take precautions to prevent, or deal with health problems. The OHS can help you plan your trip and can provide most necessary vaccinations. Please make an appointment with the OHS at least 8 weeks before you plan to travel. If you are travelling abroad on College business, you will need to bring your budget code with you to the appointment to pay for any vaccinations that you receive.  If you are travelling for personal reasons, you will be asked to pay for any vaccines prior to their administration. Payment can be made via QMUL eshop

Information on the Zika Virus Infection

Zika Virus - Guidance [PDF 104KB] [PDF 104 KB]

Zika Virus 


Travel Insurance
Whether you’re off on a six-month trek to the Himalayas or a family holiday in Spain, it's vital to have the right travel insurance. Make sure your policy covers your destination and the duration of your stay, as well as any specific activities you might do. When travelling in Europe, make sure you have a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This will entitle you to free or reduced-cost medical care. However, the EHIC won’t cover you for everything that travel insurance can, such as emergency travel back to the UK.


Yellow Fever

Occupational Health is a Yellow Fever vaccination centre. Yellow fever is a viral infection spread by mosquito bites and is found in tropical areas of Africa and South America. The condition has a high rate of mortality and has no known cure. Vaccination is highly effective and provides protection for up to 10 years. Many countries require an international certificate of vaccination for yellow fever before allowing entry. The rules will vary depending upon the country with some requiring proof from those who have travelled, in transit from an infected area.


Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)

On long-haul flights, get up from your seat to walk around and stretch your legs whenever you can. Drink regularly but avoid alcohol. Wear loose, comfortable clothes. There is evidence to suggest that compression stockings are effective in reducing the risk of developing DVT.

Deep Vein Thrombosis


Call Occupational Health on 020 7882 8700/7207 to arrange your travel health consultation to discuss your vaccine requirements.


How to have a safe and healthy holiday [PDF 217KB]

For further information visit:,,,, and ABTA

Return to top